Marketing for self-published authors
As great as self-publishing is, it requires significant marketing savvy on the author’s part to run a successful (ongoing) marketing campaign.
Make sure you have all your ducks in a row; research; talk to experts; spend some money; do everything you can to make sure your book doesn’t go unnoticed once you hit publish. You’ve come this far; don’t neglect this important aspect of book publishing.
- Brainstorm: Who is your target audience and how can you reach them?
- Open social media accounts and post daily
- Join writers’ groups and groups relevant to target audience
- Create author profiles on Goodreads, Facebook, etc.
- Build author website
- Start growing mailing list
- Draw up a list of potential reviewers, book bloggers; any influences in your target audience
- Create AI sheet and press kit, and distribute to potential reviewers
- Plan book launch
- Post content to social media daily
- Stay engaged and active in writers and audience groups
- Blog and send out occasional newsletters
- Arrange author appearances (e.g. at local bookshop/library, or webinars)
- Run FB/Instagram ads
- Run regular special offers and giveaways
- Post extracts and feedback/testimonials
- Create marketing schedule to coordinate all of the above activities
- Be consistent.